The Perfect Combo
A Grilled Cheese Sandwich and a bowl of Tomato Soup are food soul mates. They go perfect together, especially on a cold or rainy day. The key to this combo is giving a little extra love to the Grilled Cheese. Make it extra cheesy and crispy and you will not be disappointed.
For the Grilled Cheese:
Brioche Bread - 2 Pieces Per Sandwich
1 to 2 Slices American Cheese
1 to 2 Slices Smoked Gouda Cheese
1 to 2 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
We say 1 to 2 slices per cheese type because…well…the cheesier the better. I say go all out and 2 of each ;)
When cooking your Grilled Cheese on the skillet, butter the outside of each slice of bread. Cook until brown and crispy but be careful not to burn it!
For the Soup (serves 6):
1 Large Yellow Onion
1 TBS Butter
1 TSP Minced Garlic
28 oz Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes
2 1/2 Cups of Chicken Broth
1 TSP Sugar
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
1 TBS Finely Chopped Basil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
* Start by melting butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted, add in chopped onions and a pinch or two of salt. Cook until the opinion is sold and golden, about 10 minutes.
* Pour your entire can of tomatoes into a bowl, juice and all! Use a potato masher to break up the tomatoes into large chunks. Once you’ve mashed, add them to your sauce pan and stir together.
* Now add in your garlic, sugar, chicken broth and 1 whole bay leaf to the sauce pan. Stir and let simmer fo 30 minutes.
* Take out the bay leaf and use a regular or handheld blender to puree the soup. (You can do this in batches if using a regular blender.)
* Pour the soup back in your sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
* Add in the heavy cream and salt & pepper to taste. Stir.
* Once the soup is hot throughout, use a ladle to pour into serving bowls.
* Place your sour cream in small ziplock bag and cut off a small corner. Pipe the sour cream in a small spiral in each string bowl on top of the soup.
You’re ready to serve!